Chapter Four, Lesson Two
LEARNING TO BE CONTENT Page
V. 8 (Cont'd.)
1) Whatever is TRUE - John 17:17 "Thy Word is true"
2) Whatever is HONORABLE - Titus 2:2 "show yourself...dignified"
3) Whatever is RIGHT - Matthew 6:33 "seek ye first the
4) Whatever is PURE - 1John 3:2-3 "purifies himself"
5) Whatever is LOVELY - Romans 10:15 "how beautiful are
6) Whatever is of GOOD REPUTE (Reputation) - Philippians 2:22
"you know of his proven worth..." (Timothy)
** In this exhaustive list of "Whatevers", Paul shares with
us many blessings from God for which we would do well to meditate upon.
How does he expand his thinking to include anything else that might have
He adds two more things...
1) If there is any excellence
2) If anything worthy of praise
These last two comments make up the "broad brush" approach
to our thinking as we continue to be "Living in Harmony"
with one another.
** Having said that, what are we to do with all of this?
"...let your mind dwell on these things." lit. - "ponder
these things", we need to be willing to meditate, or think through
all of the blessings of God which He has bestowed upon us through His
Word and the fellowship we share in the unity of the Body of Christ.
cf. Psalm 119:15 and 97
** Is how we spend our "thinking time" important?
Absolutely! We said last week that a man is what he thinks about God.
Taking that one step further, our thinking time will make us, or break
cf. Proverbs 23:6-8, 2Corinthians 10:5, 1Peter 1:13
to page 1 Go
to page 3