Chapter Six, Lesson Three
THE SPIRIT FILLED LIFE - Part 8 Page
** What is the next piece of Believer's armor?
2) The breastplate of righteousness. The breastplate was designed
to protect the vital organs in battle, nothing protects us more than
living righteously before our Holy God.
cf. Ephesians 4:22-24
V.15 ** How about piece number three?
3) The preparation of the gospel of peace.
** Why would Paul tells us to "shod our feet" in light of what
he said in verses 11, 13 and 14?
If we are going to "stand" for Christ against the supernatural
forces of evil, our feet must be protected with the reality that we
have "peace" with God through the gospel.
cf. Romans 5:1, 8:31
V.16 ** What is the next piece of armor?
4) The shield of faith - thureos this was a 2-1/2' x 4-1/2'
large shield designed to protect the entire body.
** What is the defining characteristic of this particular shield?
It is the shield of "faith" - the supernatural ability to
believe God. To take Him at His word, to trust in His faithfulness.
cf. Matthew 8:5-10
** What do we do with this shield?
We are "able to extinguish all the flaming missiles (belos) of
the evil one". Doubt, discouragement, lust, greed, vanity, envy
- all temptations.
V.17 ** We're still not done, what do we need next?
5) The helmet of salvation - Protecting our most vulnerable
minds, the reality of our salvation keeps us standing firm. It did not
depend upon us, but rather upon our gracious God.
cf. Hebrews 9:28
** And what is the last piece of our armor?
6) The sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. machaira
- a small sword used in hand to hand combat. The one Peter used to cut
off the ear of the High Priest's servant.
cf. Matthew 26:51
to page 4 Go
to page 6