Chapter Two, Lesson One
REMEMBERING THE TRUTH Page
V. 2 (cont'd.)
** From what we have already learned in 1Thessalonians, what is generally
associated with "the day of the Lord"?
God's Judgment! The heretics were saying that all of the events prior
to Christ's Second Coming had already taken place, the Thessalonians
had missed the Rapture and Christ's return to set up His kingdom was
** How could that shake you if your faith was as new as some of those
1. They feared they had missed the Rapture.
2. They had concerns for the Christians who had died in Christ. (1Thessalonians
3. Many were becoming disorderly. (2Thessalonians 3:11)
4. There was general confusion, unsettled spirits and troubled hearts.
V. 3 ** How does Paul correct the problem?
He explains exactly what has to take place before the Lord will return
to set up His kingdom.
1. "the apostasy comes first", while this can refer
to the general falling away from the faith which will take place in
the end times (cf. 1Timothy 4:1 and Matthew 24:10), it is more likely
referring to "the" apostasy by the "man of sin or lawlessness"
who feigns worship during the first three and one half years of the
tribulation, and then deifies himself as the single object to be worshipped.
(cf. Daniel 9:27, 11:31)
2. "the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction".
This is speaking of exposing an individual who is already alive, but
now becomes widely known for what he really is.
V. 4 ** What is the agenda of this one who becomes known as the
1. He opposes "the" God and every other object of worship
thought up by man.
2. He exalts himself. cf. 1Peter 5:5
3. He takes his seat in the temple of God.
4. He displays himself as being God.
to page 3 Go
to page 5